Sunday, November 16, 2014

Lindsay Bryde's Statement

Lindsay Bryde, Suffolk County Community College:

My name is Lindsay Bryde, and I am a writer and teacher with a myriad of degrees from Fredonia State University (English, Theatre, Film Studies, and American Studies if you really are curious). I finished my Master of Fine Arts degree in Creative Writing, specializing in Dramatic Writing, at Adelphi University. My film and book reviews can be found on The Examiner.com and FlashlightWorthy.com. I have contributed a chapter to the collection, Torchwood: Declassified, that was published last year by I.B. Taurus. My produced work as a playwright includes: “Killing Cupid, Ok,” “Isobel, I Wish You Well,” "The Naked Man," and “Music for the Pain.” Currently I am an adjunct faculty member of Suffolk County Community College, Mandl School, Southern New Hampshire University, and Ashford University. I have presented at conferences held by the Popular Culture Association of the South (thrice), Fordham University, and the New England American Studies Association (four times) in addition to my work with NEMLA.

I have chaired four (soon to be five) panels, seminars, and roundtables on pop culture studies and pedagogy for NEMLA. This is why I am campaigning for the position of Director of Cultural and Media Studies; it is my passion as an academic discipline and I believe that my interdisciplinary approach will serve the organization well. I am a firm believer in cross-disciplinary work when the opportunity arises, as evidenced by each panel I’ve chaired being cross-listed with at least one other field (and could have been listed with others if the system would have allowed). It allows for a wider pool of inquiry and diversity to the panelists themselves (in terms of discipline and career). I also make a concerted effort to open opportunities for first-time panelists, grad students, early career (adjunct or full-time) faculty, and encourage others to do the same. I want to work with the caucuses and other academic areas to develop programming that can appeal to as broad a range as possible.


In any panel (seminar, roundtable, etc…) that I coordinate, I believe in a personalized approach to communicating with everyone that I encounter. We can only grow as an organization if every applicant for a panel feels like their efforts are being recognized and encouraged. The information and development of communication with our chairs is a vital step to the process. The guidance and support of the director stood out when I chaired my first panel, it’s key to staying on track and ensuring a positive experience for everyone. This is why I’m eager to take on the role and pass on what I’ve learned. These are my priorities: interdisciplinary work when applicable, opening opportunities to members across the board, and support to chairs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment